Monday, July 13, 2009

Returning to an active lifestyle

Well I did it, I jogged/walked my first race since going through treatment and reconstruction. It was a 5K, which I never would have even considered pre-cancer and it was about 10 minutes slower than what I use to do for that distance, but I did it. It even feels good in a painful way to have my quads sore from jogging on pavement after a three year layoff.

I jogged almost 1 1/2 miles before I took a walk break. So, it was a humbling and happy experience. I thought for sure I was pretty much not going to be able to run anymore. My energy level was still in the toilet a few months ago and what energy I did have I was saving for riding my horses.

But things have improved since I changed some of the medications I still have to take for the next five years.

I feel hopeful that I will again run 10K's and half marathons. I have decided that whatever I can do I will do. I won't worry about my times. The fact that at 53 I am still able to get out there and do my best is a gift.

So keep on doing your best no matter what. Moving a little is better than not moving at all. Be thankful for the days you get to enjoy the good tired you get from exercise. Not only the physical benefit but the mental ones too.
Trot on!!!
Kath

No comments: